Monday, December 10, 2012

Get Up

Exercising has gotten complicated. 

Now that I'm old enough to be an adult I have regrettably become an early riser and..... a gym member.
Most days I try to fit in some exercise time at the gym before my working day starts. 

My wife taught me to get my things in order ahead of time..... so the night before a workout/work day I try to make plans for both.  Its a circus the next morning trying to pull it all together and get out the door.  I gotta remember the stuff in the fridge, the stuff on the chair, take my 'vites' and load it all in the gym bag.........in the dark so nobody awakens.  Sometimes I get it right, but sometimes I forget something.  Usually I can get by without the forgotten item, but sometimes I have to make a phone call to get a special curbside delivery of "essential items" or "unmentionables" or "underclothing."  Which is never embarassing.

Today I forgot to make sure my electronic music player was fully charged with battery power.  So I spun around with earbuds in my ears but no power.....
It might as well have been plugged into my belly button.

I never listen to earphone music when I ride out on the streets but I like it at the gym.  Earphone music at the gym makes it feel like I'm almost exercising in private, like if I can't hear the people around me, then they can't see me. 

The beauty of my gym is that halfway through my 'routine' a group of fitness people comes up the stairs, all in single file and performs a 'routine' of their own.  Lunges, sprints, jumps, stretches, all synchronized to the music from my earphones.  I've always thought these performances were a FLASH MOB all for me, choreographed to my playlist, but today I learned they are NOT.....it was a fitness bootcamp class for other people who are also early risers and have a gym membership just like me.

I could hear the instructor the whole time....the one with the lapel microphone.  She wasn't singing along to my music like I thought she was.  She wasn't talking to me at all.....She was only speaking to the bootcampers so they would know what to do and how fast.  Oh well.....


Now I have to find a whole new way to flatter myself.


Maybe I'll just start exercising in my work clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment